Twins president Derek Falvey: A ‘few’ players have tested positive for COVID-19
Minnesota Twins president of baseball operations Derek Falvey told reporters Thursday that a “few” players in the organization have tested positive for COVID-19.
Falvey declined to say whether the players diagnosed were major league or minor league players, nor how many tested positive. However, the Twins executive indicated at least one player is a member of the team’s 60-man roster that is expected to descend upon Target Field on July 1 for spring training 2.0.
Falvey went on to state none of the players who tested positive are in Minnesota, nor are they at the team’s spring training facilities in Fort Myers, Fla. All affected players are currently in quarantine, Falvey added, and will remain as such until satisfying MLB protocol, which requires two negative tests.
“I don’t think that it’s necessarily a surprise that we would have positive cases, we would expect it,” Falvey said, per KARE 11. “As a result, we want to follow the appropriate protocols before getting everyone back together.”
The news of the Twins’ encounter with the coronavirus follows reports that Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays and New York Yankees have dealt with the same in recent days. Colorado Rockies star Charlie Blackmon, along with two teammates, tested positive for coronavirus this week following workouts at Coors Field.
Last week, the league ordered the shuttering of all 30 spring training sites for a thorough sanitizing and disinfecting.
With all these recent developments in mind, it goes without saying that MLB is in a precarious spot at the moment as the league attempts to ramp up activity in an effort to begin an abbreviated 60-game season in late July.