Sportress of Blogitude

Rob Gronkowski still declining to definitively rule out NFL return

Rob Gronkowski’s “big announcement” on Tuesday turned out to have nothing to do with a possible return to the NFL, but the currently retired ex-New England Patriots tight end is still declining to definitively rule it out.

Gronkowski’s much ballyhooed announcement was all about a big party he plans to host in Miami ahead of Super Bowl LIV next February, which was shared via statement. Gronkowski also announced the party plans via Twitter.

In the wake of the arguably anticlimactic announcement — at least from the perspective of Patriots fans — Gronkowski addressed his ongoing uncertain future as it pertains to his playing career in comments made to ESPN.

“I wouldn’t say ‘never coming back,'” Gronkowski said Tuesday. “I’m 30 years old. I’m young. I still stay fit, still watch the game whenever I can, still enjoy it. I’m feeling good, but you know, one year off could possibly be the case. Or maybe two years off, man.

“It’s always an option in the back of my head. It’s not like I’m not staying in shape and not doing anything. I’m never stressed over it.”

Along with sharing footage from a workout on a football field earlier this season, Gronkowski also noted in early September that it would only take him “a month” to get back into football shape.

Before that, Gronkowski alternately teased a potential return and trolled the NFL world when it comes to his unclear future.

All that said, if Gronkowski had intended to return to the NFL this season — which seems even more remote in light of Tuesday’s announcement and his subsequent comments — he would have had to inform the league by Nov. 30.