Saquon Barkley not fretting over next deal amid Ezekiel Elliott extension
Ezkiel Elliott and the Dallas Cowboys finally coming to terms on a huge extension just ahead of the teams season opener is one of the biggest stories in the NFL heading into Week 1.
The deal has reset the running back market yet again, and one player who stands to benefit is second-year New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley.
To hear it from the budding superstar, though, his next NFL deal is way too far down the road to worry about it at this point.
“That’s so far away,” Barkley told Newsday’s Tom Rock on Thursday, adding that he’s happy for Elliott over the division-rival back landing such a monster deal.
Barkley likely won’t hit unrestricted free agency potentially until 2023, as the Giants have a club option in 2022 following the conclusion of his rookie deal.
Despite Barkley’s attempt to tamp down any chatter about a deal that won’t come for years — at least under the terms of his four-year rookie contract — speculation already has abounded concerning just how much the Giants running back could command with his second NFL contract.
“If he were my client, I’d ask for at least five years and $100 million,” an anonymous but prominent agent told NJ Advance Media. “He’ll definitely be the first $100 million running back and probably get $70 million guaranteed.”
Elliott’s six-year extension with the Cowboys comes with a price tag of $90 million, $50 million of which is guaranteed. It stands to reason that Barkley, the reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year, could command a $100 million deal should his development continue and he avoids serious injury.
According to Barkley, though, that’s a discussion for some point in the future, so there’s no reason to fret about it now.