Drew Brees backs Aaron Donald topping him at No. 1 in player rankings
The NFL Network officially unveiled the top-10 players in the league in their annual rankings on Wednesday night , and Los Angeles Rams superstar defensive lineman Aaron Donald snagged the No. 1 spot.
Drew Brees, meanwhile, landed at No. 2 — as voted on by the players themselves — and the New Orleans Saints quarterback has no problem with Donald ranking one spot ahead of him on the “Top 100 Players of 2019” list.
Making an appearance Thursday on “The Dan Patrick Show,” Brees said Donald is “unbelievable,” among other accolades.
“I wholeheartedly agree with who got number one, Aaron Donald,” Brees said, via Clutch Points. Patrick asked if Donald was the best player in football, to which he said: “there’s no question, there’s no question.”
The top-10 players in the NFL shook out as follows:
1. Aaron Donald, DT, Los Angeles Rams
2. Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans Saints
3. Khalil Mack, LB, Chicago Bears
4. Patrick Mahomes, QB, Kansas City Chiefs
5. Todd Gurley, RB, Los Angeles Rams
6. Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots
7. Antonio Brown, WR, Oakland Raiders
8. Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers
9. Julio Jones, WR, Atlanta Falcons
10. Von Miller, LB, Denver Broncos
NFL Network originally revealed which players who cracked the top 10 earlier in the week, but the order was not made official until Wednesday night.
It was expected by some that a certain superstar quarterback not named Brees would come in at No. 1 for the third straight year, but it ended up being Donald, which comes as something of a surprise given how the NFL is more than anything a QB-driven league.