Sportress of Blogitude

Charles Barkley rails against ‘Space Jam 2’: ‘We don’t need’ it

Charles Barkley was among the myriad NBA stars who appeared in the Michael Jordan-starring “Space Jam” back in 1996, and the outspoken NBA on TNT analyst recently doubled down on his argument that a sequel is completely unnecessary.

Barkley weighed in on the LeBron James-fronted “Space Jam 2” at Monday night’s NBA Awards, and the notion that the film has a top-notch Hollywood player overseeing production has not changed his opinion of the sequel.

“Not at all,” he proclaimed when asked if his opinion on the matter has changed during an interview with “Entertainment Tonight” reporter  Deidre Behar. When told that acclaimed director Ryan Coogler is involved in the project, he replied, “Well, listen, I don’t care. ‘Space Jam 1’ was amazing. We don’t need 2.”

Last year at the 2018 edition of the NBA Awards, Barkley originally made his opinion of “Space Jam 2” abundantly clear.

“’Space Jam 1″ was a classic,” Barkley said at the time. “I don’t like when people try to imitate something that was already good.”

Despite Barkley’s protestations, “Space Jam 2” will indeed be realized. There certainly has been no shortage of pre-production issues, highlighted by a script rewrite and a reported inability by Warner Bros. to attract top NBA talent to the project, including Stephen Curry.

James, meanwhile, took to Twitter on Monday to share his excitement that the ball is rolling on “Space Jam 2” with filming having been started.

“Space Jam 2” has tentative premiere date and is slated for wide release on July 16, 2021.