White Sox reportedly not offering $250 million deal to Manny Machado
Speculation and rumors continue to abound as Manny Machado’s free-agency odyssey limps forward, but it sounds like one report related to the Chicago White Sox’s purported offer to the slugger may not be as accurate as believed.
MLB Network insider Jon Heyman on Tuesday refuted a report suggesting the ChiSox offered Machado an eight-year, $250 million contract. Instead, Heyman reports, that Chicago’s offer was said to be higher than the previously reported seven-year, $175 million deal but lower than $250 million.
Have heard reported offer of 250M for 8 yrs for Machado by White Sox isn’t right. May or may not be close, but guess would be that at least today it’s a bit lower. Higher than 175 but lower than 250. At least at moment. (So yes, we still don’t have facts, just educated guesses.)— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 12, 2019
The White Sox — who have been identified as the perhaps team making the strongest push to sign Machado — reportedly have offered him a seven-year, $175 million deal, although there has been some dispute about that report’s accuracy.
The New York Yankees, meanwhile, have long been tabbed as a potential front-runner to sign Machado. The team, though, reportedly has not yet made him a formal offer, although recent speculation suggests the team continues to monitor the situation.
It’s believed that Machado — not to mention fellow big-time free agent Bryce Harper — continue to hold out hope of locking down a deal in excess of $300 million, a number far greater than what the White Sox are believed to be offering, formally or otherwise.
All that said, it’s baffling that both Machado and Harper remain unsigned with Spring Training set to get underway. The notion that such strong ballplayers in their prime can’t lock down a deal is something that has drawn the ire of many MLB insiders, not to mention Justin Verlander, who criticized the situation just recently as well.