Nationals post job listing for bullpen cart driver
The Washington Nationals are looking for someone to take over driver duties for the team’s bullpen cart, and a job listing recently posted details what the organization seeks in a candidate.
The listing for the Nationals’ bullpen cart driver job went up a few days ago, something the vehicle’s official Twitter account (?) made sure to highlight.
RIDE WITH ME FOR ALWAYS https://t.co/qWwFYn2dKQ— Nationals Bullpen Cart (@NatsBullpenCart) February 9, 2019
According to the listing, the Nationals are “seeking a qualified professional” to operate the bullpen cart during home games at Nationals Park. The “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” are as follows:
• Ensures the bullpen cart is clean and that the battery is fully charged upon arrival.
• Stage the bullpen cart in place so that it is ready to be used when a pitching change is made.
• Pay close attention to the game by watching the live feed to see when a pitching change could potentially be made.
• Use the team provided radio to communicate with the Production team as to when a pitching change is being made.
• Cross reference pitcher preference document to understand which players would like to use the bullpen cart to get to the mound.
• Drive the bullpen cart to the bullpen to pick up the pitcher entering the game.
• Drop the pitcher off near the corresponding team dugout so they can begin their warm up routine.
• Drive the bullpen cart along the warning track back to the center field gate.
• Once the game has concluded, return the bullpen cart to its storage space and plug in the power cord to charge it overnight.
The job listing adds that the ideal candidate “will have a stellar driving record and a knowledge of the game of baseball,” qualities that obviously make sense for a bullpen cart driver.
After years of being regaled to relics of a bygone era, the use of a bullpen cart is becoming a trendy thing again in Major League Baseball.