Sportress of Blogitude

Ben Roethlisberger: Steelers have ‘moved on’ from Le’Veon Bell drama

Ben Roethlisberger insists that the Pittsburgh Steelers have “moved on” from all the speculation about whether or not disgruntled running back Le’Veon Bell will make his long-awaited return to the team.

Rumors suggested that Bell would at long last end his protracted holdout amid a contentious contract dispute this week as the Steelers returned from their bye. When Monday came, though, Bell was not at the team’s facilities, which again casted doubt when exactly — or if —  he’ll rejoin the Steelers.

Roethlisberger said on Wednesday the team has long since passed the point where players even bother keeping up with any Bell-related drama or rumors.

“It was such a big deal early because we all didn’t know what to expect. We expected him back at the end of training camp or the first game, whatever it was. Then when it didn’t happen you heard a lot of noise and then from there, we’ve all moved on,” Roethlisberger said during his weekly appearance Tuesday on 93.7 The Fan, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

“Obviously [Monday] at practice there was more media there than ever. It’s all just waiting to get a glimpse to see when he’s gonna show up, and for us, we just laugh because [our focus] is on winning a football game, not who’s gonna show up or not.”

Roethlisberger was also asked whether he has heard personally from Bell.

“No, I have not,” Roethlisberger said. “A lot of guys haven’t.”

Earlier this month, Bell said he was “still holding out hope” for a long-term deal with the Steelers. It would seem at this point that ship has sailed.

Bell, if and when he reports, will be paid a prorated portion of this season’s $14.54 million franchise tender. Until then, Bell will continue to forfeit $855K game checks … not that it appears his teammates are all too concerned about his whereabouts at this point.