J.R. Smith to pay man $600 to settle ‘Cellphone-gate,’ lawyer says
J.R. Smith has reached a resolution to a July incident in New York involving a fan during which the Cleveland Cavaliers star was alleged to have thrown the man’s cellphone into a nearby construction zone, according to an ESPN report.
The deal, which reportedly will settle the case, involves Smith paying the man $600 in restitution. Smith had previously turned himself in to the NYPD in late August and was given a desk ticket for misdemeanor criminal mischief.
At a court appearance Wednesday, Smith’s attorney, Alex Spiro, and prosecutor John Johnsen informed the court that the finalization of the deal was near. Smith was not present for Thursday’s hearing but is expected back in court on Nov. 15 for arraignment. It is expected that an adjournment-in-contemplation-of-dismissal will be finalized at that hearing.
“We have reached dismissal in Cellphone-gate,” Spiro told reporters about the $600 to be paid to the man to replace his lost cellphone.
The confrontation between Smith and the fan occurred on July 26 outside The Park, a popular hotspot in Chelsea. The alleged incident reportedly escalated when the fan, a 20-year-old Pennsylvania man, attempted to snap a photograph of Smith on his phone. The man then contacted police to file a complaint against Smith using another individual’s phone.