Doug Pederson weighs in on being ‘abrasive’ during Sunday presser
Doug Pederson on Tuesday morning addressed his tense press conference on Sunday during which he accused the media of putting “words in my mouth.”
Simply stated, the Philadelphia Eagles head coach defended his outburst and claimed it was inspired by an erroneous report on the status of the team’s starting quarterback situation.
Pederson on Sunday bristled at an NFL Network report filed Saturday that stated Foles would be Thursday’s starting quarterback. The Eagles head coach insists the decision was not made until Sunday, inspiring his frustration.
“The decision was not made at the time,” Pederson said to reporters on Tuesday, via NJ.com. “I still wanted to hear from our medical team. If I came off a little abrasive, that’s part of the reason.”
The Eagles officially announced on Monday that Nick Foles will start the team’s season opener against the Atlanta Falcons on Sept. 6, which hardly came as a surprise as Carson Wentz has yet to be cleared for contact.
Wentz began splitting 11-on-11 reps with Foles last week, marking the first time Wentz has done so since July 28.
Wentz has long stated it’s his goal to start in Week 1 when the Eagles open their season. It is now known that will not happen as the 25-year-old signal-caller continues to recover from a late-season knee injury in 2017. In fact, recent speculation suggests Week 3 would be a realistic time for Wentz’s return with Foles taking the reins for the first two games.
Pederson added Tuesday, however that Wentz is “close” to returning.
Doug Pederson said he made the decision to start Foles yesterday. He said Wentz is “close.” Emphasized he’s been in conversation for a long time with Wentz about this. “He’s in a great spot,” Pederson said of Wentz.
— Zach Berman (@ZBerm) September 4, 2018
The Eagles — arguably rightfully so — will continue to exercise extreme caution with their franchise quarterback, even if Foles’ preseason performances failed to inspire.