Doug Pederson: Carson Wentz’s Week 1 availability decision ‘is above me’
Doug Pederson indicated it will not be his decision whether or not Carson Wentz is the Philadelphia Eagles starting quarterback come Week 1 of the regular season. Simply put, the Eagles head coach insists it’s above his pay grade.
“This decision is above me,” Peterson said in an interview with ESPN on Friday morning, via Reuters. “This decision is a medical issue. This decision is going to be with our doctors, team trainer, (GM) Howie Roseman, even dialogue with Carson Wentz. When he’s cleared, he’s cleared. We’ll see what happens in a couple of weeks.”
Wentz has long stated it’s his goal to start in Week 1 when the Eagles open their season on Sept. 6 against the Atlanta Falcons. Wentz, who has been splitting practice reps with Nick Foles, said that development coming to fruition is “going to be close.”
That said, the Eagles have been exercising extreme caution with Wentz, and rightfully so. Pederson previously stated the Eagles would “let things unfold” as it relates to Wentz’s Week 1 availability. Friday’s comments reinforce that approach.
It was believed that the Eagles had the best backup quarterback situation in the NFL with Foles, the reigning Super Bowl MVP, in the fold. That notion has taken a serious hit during the preseason, as Foles has struggled.
Including Thursday night’s utterly unwatchable 5-0 loss to the Cleveland Browns, Foles has committed six turnovers in only 10 offensive possessions in three preseason appearances.
Pederson was not able to hide his extreme disappointment in the Eagles’ offense as things hit rock bottom on Thursday night. That said, Pederson did not blame Foles entirely for the offense’s woes.
“I’m disappointed in the offense,” Pederson said Thursday night. I don’t want to single out one player, so don’t put this all on Nick. I’m disappointed in the offense. It’s obviously not what you want in the third preseason week.”