Johnny Manziel wishes concussion recovery was ‘progressing faster’
Johnny Manziel continues to deal with a concussion suffered a few weeks ago and admitted this week he wished the recovery was “progressing faster.”
“I feel like I’m just jumping through the necessary hoops as far as concussion protocol,” Manziel said on his Barstool Sports podcast “Comeback SZN,” via TMZ Sports). “I wish it was progressing faster.”
Manziel was suffered the concussion while absorbing a brutal hit during an Aug. 11 game against the Ottawa Redblacks. The Montreal Alouettes announced in the week that followed that Manziel was placed in the CFL’s concussion protocol.
The Alouettes’ statement announcing the decision mentions that Manziel notified team medical staff that medications he takes may be a contributing factor. Manziel previously disclosed he takes a prescription to treat bipolar disorder.
Manziel missed the Alouettes’ 40-24 loss to the Edmonton Eskimos last week and will not play on Friday against the Toronto Argonauts. The 25-year-old has yet to practice with the team since suffering the concussion.
Alouettes head coach Mike Sherman said this week that Manziel is “doing better every day” and could rejoin the team as soon as Thursday if the quarterback receives medical clearance to do so.
Manziel’s bid to resurrect his professional football career got off to a disastrous start in his first regular season appearance with the Alouettes, something he chalked up to a test from the “football gods.” Results were far more encouraging in his second game, although the concussion issue obviously has put his comeback on hold, albeit temporarily.