Sportress of Blogitude

Terrell Owens says Hall of Fame decision was not intended to offend

Terrell Owens insists no offense was intended by his decision against attending his own Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony.

“They’re making the narrative more so about me offending the Hall of Famers, and that has nothing to do with it,” Owens said Wednesday on the red carpet at the ESPYS. “I respect all of those Hall of Famers that have gone in before me and going in with me and after me. It has nothing to do with those Hall of Famers.”

Owens announced earlier this month that instead of attending the ceremonies on Aug. 4, he will make a speech at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga, his alma mater.

It was an unprecedented decision on Owens’ part, which elicited harsh criticism of the enigmatic, sometimes controversial former NFL wide receiver. Owens argued the criticism stems from attacks on his “reputation,” not his “character.”

“It’s always unfortunate and people have a lot to say when someone does something different, but what I’m doing is not wrong,” Owens said.

The Hall of Fame announced last week that Owens will be completely be left out of the celebration on enshrinement weekend.

Owens has enjoyed his fair share of the limelight of late, mostly stemming from his controversial Hall decision. On another front, the 44-year-old is potentially looking into playing in the Canadian Football League.

Owens recently initiated a process where the Edmonton Eskimos — who own his CFL rights — have 10 days to either offer him a contract or release him from their negotiation list.

Owens also addressed his dalliances with the CFL during Wednesday’s interview.

“It’s unfortunate that I haven’t been able to continue my career, but again, I’m not actively seeking to get into the NFL; but again, if there’s an opportunity for me to play, then yeah, I will entertain that, as well as the CFL,” Owens said. “… If it happens, it happens, but if it doesn’t, it’s not the end of the world.”