Jacob deGrom again expresses desire to remain with Mets
Jacob deGrom again has doubled down on his previously expressed desire to remain with the New York Mets despite some rumblings from his agent potentially indicating otherwise.
DeGrom’s agent, Brodie Van Wagenen, on Monday said his client “expressed interest in exploring a long-term partnership” with the Mets. However, if the Mets are not willing to work out an extension, a trade would be preferred.
deGrom on Tuesday attempted to walk back the comments to some extent ahead of taking part in the MLB All-Star Game at Nationals Park in D.C.
“It’s actually been fine,” deGrom said a few hours before the start of the All-Star Game, via the New York Post. “I think we expressed that we’ve enjoyed it here. We’d like to stay. It’s up to the Mets. I’ve really enjoyed my time here and enjoyed winning here. I’d like to get back to that.”
The right-hander added he he had not heard from the Mets about his agent’s comments. deGrom is not concerned about a backlash over the situation, either.
“I don’t think so,” deGrom said. “I think the way we put it was, we first of all would like to stay here. I have a good relationship with the Mets. We’ve had one my whole career here. We were just expressing that we’d like to stay here and be a part of the future here. So I think the other thing, that was kind of the option. If they don’t see [us together] in the future, get what you can for me. But our main goal would be to stay here.”
deGrom has on a few occasions allowed his frustration to show over the Mets’ monumentally disappointing season. The ace has a 5-4 record in 19 starts despite posting an incredible 1.68 ERA, tops in baseball by over a half-run.
deGrom has been the subject of differing reports related to the Mets’ inclination to trade him. It will be interesting to see how things play out as the league nears the non-waiver trade deadline on July 31.