Giancarlo Stanton blows off losing MLB Final Vote for All-Star berth
Giancarlo Stanton came up short in the MLB Final Vote that determined the AL squad’s final roster spot for the 2018 All-Star Game. But the New York Yankees slugger does not seem to be too bent out of shape about it.
“It’s all right, I have been an All-Star before,’’ Stanton said after the Yankees beat the Baltimore Orioles 9-0 — in a game the slugger went 4-for-5 with two RBI — via the New York Post.
Stanton came in third in the vote that wrapped up Wednesday, with Boston Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi finishing second and Seattle Mariners shortstop Jean Segura landing the coveted spot on the AL All-Star team.
And as he noted, All-Star Game appearances are almost old hat for Stanton, a four-time All-Star with the Miami Marlins. An MVP award last season in his final year in Miami also likely soothes any hurt feelings as well.
Speaking of the Marlins, Stanton presumably is quite content — if not thrilled — to be playing on a loaded Yankees squad competing for an AL East crown and a World Series after toiling for years on a dysfunctional and noncompetitive Marlins team.
That does not mean that Stanton’s transition to a bona fide contender did not have some bumps in the road. Stanton’s start in the Bronx was the definition of abysmal at the onset — especially at Yankee Stadium — with the slugger batting .218 in April while racking up an absurd amount of strikeouts.
The struggles continued into May to some extent, but Stanton began to turn things around in June. And so far in July, Stanton is on fire, batting .412 with three home runs and eight RBI in 47 at-bats.
All told, Stanton is now slashing at a .276/.348/.518 clip with 22 homers and 54 RBI. So, all things considered, Stanton probably is just fine not being in the All-Star Game and content with lighting it up in official games while wearing pinstripes.