Advertisements

Sportress of Blogitude

Warriors contradict LiAngelo Ball, say no private workout scheduled

LiAngelo Ball said earlier this week that he had private workouts scheduled with three teams ahead of the 2018 NBA Draft: the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers and Golden State Warriors. Unfortunately for Ball, it would appear the latter for those teams were not aware of any such plan.

The Warriors on Thursday contradicted Ball’s assertion there would be a private workout. A Warriors spokesman told The Mercury News that the team has no specific plans to meet with LiAngelo, the middle son of LaVar Ball’s basketball-playing progeny.

Ball participated in the Professional Basketball Combine in Florida this week, where he said he is “going to be a pro whether I get picked or not.” Interestingly, most NBA draft pundits are hard-pressed to accept the 19-year-old Ball will get drafted.

Ball of course made his much ballyhooed foray into pro ball — alongside younger brother LaMelo — with Vytautas Prienai–Birštonas of the Lithuanian Basketball League, averaging 12.6 points and 2.9 rebounds per game while shooting 41.5 percent from beyond the arc. This of course came after Ball’s brief-but-controversial stint with the UCLA Bruins that ended in the wake of an embarrassing shoplifting arrest in China.

Ball spoke of both experiences during a interview with this week Yahoo Sports’ Shams Charania.

“I definitely learned from it,” Ball said. “I also learned from the experience in China and I felt bad, but it’s over now. I view it as a closed chapter in my life. It’s about looking forward now to the NBA draft, and hopefully on an NBA team.”

All that aside, including the awkward situation with the Warriors, Ball does have the size and strength that NBA teams find intriguing. However it certainly seems that if Ball does indeed catch on in the NBA in 2018, it will be as an undrafted prospect.