Report: Eagles formally invited to White House on June 5
The Philadelphia Eagles reportedly have been formally invited to celebrate their Super Bowl LII title at a White House ceremony on June 5.
“We have been in contact with White House representatives and are currently discussing the logistics of an upcoming visit to Washington,” the Eagles told ESPN through a team spokesman, via Philly’s 6ABC. “We are honored to receive this invitation and view this not only as an opportunity to be recognized for our on-field achievements, but also as an opportunity to engage in productive dialogue with the leaders of our country.”
The potential fallout of the invitation will arrive now that it’s been made official. A handful of Eagles players asked about a potential White House visit have either explicitly stated they would not attend a ceremony at the White House, while others have expressed ambivalence or at least reluctance at accepting the invitation.
Malcolm Jenkins and Chris Long have both indicated they would not go, as did Torrey Smith, who is now with the Carolina Panthers.
Long, who also skipped the New England Patriots’ White House visit in 2017, was perhaps the most forthright when explaining how he intended to do the same with the Eagles.
Long also said, per the Washington Post: “[When] my son grows up, and I believe the legacy of our president is going to be what it is, I don’t want him to say, ‘Hey Dad, why’d you go [to the White House] when you knew the right thing was to not go?”
However, Nick Foles previously stated he would consider paying a visit to the White House. Meanwhile, Jason Kelce and Fletcher Cox declined to commit when asked prior to the invitation being formally extended.
Donald Trump of course has become a polarizing figure in the world of sports during his presidency, highlighted by his waging war on the NFL over the anthem protest controversy. And with that, invites to the White House have become complicated.