Rick Carlisle on Mark Cuban allegations: ‘Most insidious form’ of fake news
Dallas Mavericks head coach Rick Carlisle not surprisingly has once again been compelled to weigh in on the alleged malfeasance plaguing the organization’s front office and ownership. This time it involves allegations of sexual assault against Mavericks owner Mark Cuban stemming from a 2011 incident in Portland, Ore.
Carlisle made it abundantly clear he is 100 percent behind Cuban in light of the allegations, which he believes were drudged up simply due to the current workplace misconduct scandal in which the Mavs organization finds itself embroiled.
“Very sad,” Carlisle said after practice Thursday, via SportsDay. “And I view that situation as a baseless and journalistically unethical rehashing of a proven non-event. That’s what that is.
“Have you ever heard the term fake news? This is the most insidious form.”
Cuban is accused of groping a woman at a Portland nightclub in 2011. At the time, Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office found insufficient evidence to press criminal charges, as “the allegation of the complainant is unfounded.”
Cuban again this week vehemently denied the allegations. However, that has not prevented the NBA from opening an investigation into the matter.
As noted above, Carlisle was previously placed in the precarious position of defending the organization that has employed him as head coach since 2008. Just last month, Carlisle addressed not only the workplace misconduct scandal but also the NBA levying a $600,000 on Cuban for comments about tanking.
“Things happen for a reason,” Carlisle said at the time. “Any problem or crisis presents opportunity, and this is an opportunity for us to get something fixed.”
And to say the Mavericks face problems and/or crises would be a huge understatement, obviously.
It goes without saying the Mavericks organization is in a complete tailspin. The fact that the team sits at 25-40 and in the midst of one of the worst seasons of recent memory only adds insult to injury.