Carlos Beltran skipping Astros’ White House visit, but not due to Donald Trump
Carlos Beltran on Tuesday indicated he will not be joining his former Houston Astros teammates for their upcoming White House visit to celebrate their World Series win. But the retired ballplayer said it’s not because of President Donald Trump.
“I’m retired,” Beltran said at a charity event in Manhattan, via NJ.com. “I feel like I don’t belong to any team. I feel like I belong to the only team, and that’s my family. That’s the team that I belong (to) right now and I wish those guys the best and I hope they have a great time and they enjoy their day over there with what it comes to visit the White House.”
Beltran has been an extremely vocal critic of how the United States government has handled providing aid and assistance to his homeland of Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria, especially when compared to what Texas and Florida received following Hurricane Harvey.
“The fact that we haven’t gotten those, yeah, it’s disappointing it happened. But at the end of the day, as a Puerto Rican and as an athlete, I’m doing the best I can to provide help to the people in need.”
Beltran did mention Trump, though, when indicating the President isn’t the reason behind skipping the Astros’ White House visit.
“No. I mean, he’s the president of the United States,” Beltran said. “Sometimes we don’t like the things that he does, or if we like the things that he does, at the end of the day, he’s the president. So it has nothing to do with that.”
The notion of accepting a White House invite has become more controversial since Trump took office, as the President on occasion has ushered in an antagonistic characterization of the current state of American sports, specifically the NFL.
Astros president Reid Ryan, however, said last month the team is “going to have a really high turnout and people are going to be excited about it.”