Sportress of Blogitude

Twins GM addresses MLB investigation into Miguel Sano assault allegations

Minnesota Twins general manager Thad Levine on Thursday addressed Major League Baseball’s ongoing investigation into allegations that Miguel Sano assaulted a photographer in 2015, according to a report from the Pioneer Press.

“Right now Major League Baseball is conducting their investigation,” Levine said Thursday during an appearance on SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio. “We’ve been asked to kind of stand down and allow that process to unfold. We’re hopeful we’ll have information back in a timely fashion.”

Levine also expressed hope the investigation will be completed before the team breaks camp at spring training, per the report. Major League Baseball had previously confirmed to the Pioneer Press that it had begun “review of the matter immediately upon learning of the allegations.”

The photographer, Betsy Bissen — who has worked with the Twins as part of her job with team-specific website Twins Daily — accused Sano in a tweet of assaulting her following an autograph session at a mall. Bissen’s Twitter account has since been made private.

Bissen accused Sano of forcibly trying to kiss her and aggressively attempting to pull her into a restroom. Sano shortly after the allegations were made public issued a statement in which he “unequivocally” denied any wrongdoing.

“Miguel is complying with everything Major League Baseball is pursuing,” Levine said. “He’s desirous of clearing his name as soon as possible. We’re going to let that process unfold and hear from Major League Baseball, ideally before spring training so we have a full understanding.”

The report adds that a person with direct knowledge of the situation indicated MLB informed the involved parties “there is not a firm timeline” and the investigation will take “as long as a thorough investigation requires.”