Jameis Winston has ‘no fear’ of suspension amid NFL investigation
Jameis Winston claims to have “no fear” over a potential suspension despite the NFL’s ongoing investigation into an alleged incident involving an Uber driver.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback on Thursday for the first time publicly addressed the allegations, in which he’s accused by a female Uber driver of groping her during a ride in Arizona in March 2016.
“I have no fear at all,” Winston said, via the Tampa Bay Times. “But like I said, I have to respect our process.”
Winston’s first public comments on the situation follow a statement issued via Twitter shortly after BuzzFeed published the story documenting the allegations. In the statement, Winston said in part that the “accusation is false, and given the nature of the allegation and increased awareness and consideration of these types of matters, I am addressing this false report immediately.”
Winston was asked Thursday why he’s been the subject of two similar accusations, as he previously was accused of sexual assault during his time at Florida State. Winston was never charged in that incident and reached a settlement with his accuser in a civil suit.
“Again, I put my statement out there discussing this allegation and I’ve got to respect the process on that part,” Winston said. “I’ve been vindicated several times on the past situation, so, you know, my statements on those accusations stand firm, too.
“As always, it’s always a growing process in everything, and I’m going to continue to grow.”
When asked if he believes he’ll be vindicated in this most recent incident upon conclusion of the NFL’s investigation, Winston said, “Absolutely.”
Winston may have to patient as he allows the process to play out. It’s been reported that the NFL’s investigation into the matter is unlikely to conclude before the end of the season.