Sportress of Blogitude

Stephen Curry explains ‘tough decision’ to skip 3-point contest

Stephen Curry has decided against competing in the 3-point contest at 2017 NBA All-Star Weekend on Feb. 18. While disappointing, the Golden State Warriors superstar thoughtfully explained his decision after Thursday’s 133-120 victory over the Los Angeles Clippers. And the case can be made that Curry’s decision is completely understandable.

Curry won the event in 2015 and lost to teammate Klay Thompson last year. And for Curry, it’s simply time to “move on.”

“I’ve done it six times I think,” Curry said, via the San Jose Mercury News‘ Anthony Slater. “I told myself I was going to do it until I won. And then I won. And then I had to defend. And then Klay beat me. So it’s a little bit of an internal battle.

“But honestly, this All-Star Weekend is kind of the slowest, schedule-wise, I’ve had and I wanted to capitalize off that rest. So it was a tough decision ’cause I love the spotlight of being out there shooting, competing with the field and yourself.

“It’s so much fun to be out there with the lights and the atmosphere, just you and the rim. But I put a lot of equity into that contest and it’s time to kind of move on.”

Actually, Curry competed in the event five times, not six. But that doesn’t take away from Curry’s argument that it’s time to move on. Minnesota Timberwolves guard Zach LaVine essentially said the same thing about his decision not to defend his back-to-back Slam Dunk Contest titles this time around.

While Curry’s absence will leave an arguable void during the competition Thompson has opted to defend his title, however, and that alone will make the event worth watching.

[CBS Sports]