Seattle-area mayor ‘profoundly sorry’ for canceling Seahawks rally
Mike Courts, the embattled mayor of DuPont, Wash., said he is “profoundly sorry” for canceling a Seattle Seahawks rally last weekend ahead of the team’s season opener.
“I made a decision last week that has led to a great deal of press and public comment, both positive and negative, and pain for the citizens of DuPont, businesses and other leaders,” Courts said at a City Council meeting Tuesday night, per The Seattle Times. “Let me make it very clear that this was my decision alone, and I accept full responsibility for the decision and implications of it.”
The trouble for Courts began when the Seahawks indicated players were planning a “pregame demonstration of unity” before Sunday’s game against the Miami Dolphins.
Given the environment of player protests during the anthem taking the NFL by storm, Courts, fearing the Seahawks would “dishonor the United States and our flag,” canceled a rally scheduled for Saturday, declaring it “postponed indefinitely.”
Courts, 57, a retired Army colonel, cited the fact that DuPont is “70 percent military, 30 percent active and 40 percent retired military,” in deciding to cancel the rally. He added “that there were indications” Seahawks players had hatched a “deliberate plan that’s disrespectful” to the flag.
It turns out Courts’ worries were unfounded, as instead of protesting during the national anthem, the Seahawks linked arms to “express a desire to bring people together, our team will honor the country and flag in a pregame demonstration of unity,” Seahwks receiver Doug Baldwin wrote on social media ahead of the less controversial demonstration.
Seahawks linking arms. pic.twitter.com/FxPh8XmrST
— Bob Condotta (@bcondotta) September 11, 2016
“You make your decision on the best information at the time,” Courts said Sunday, calling the Seahawks players’ demonstration “respectful.”
Courts has since stated he is now open to rescheduling the city-sponsored Seahawks rally.