Sportress of Blogitude

Aaron Rodgers inspired by Tom Brady to improve eating habits

aaron-rodgers-patriot-2

Aaron Rodgers has committed himself to improving his eating habits in order to get in better shape. And in some respects the Green Bay Packers quarterback is crediting Tom Brady for his new and improved outlook.

Rodgers used to follow a dietary guideline he described as the “80/20 Rule,” meaning that he tried to make sure 80 percent of what he was eating was healthy while the remaining 20 percent gave him room to indulge in some of his favorites, like Girl Scout Cookies and In-N-Out Burger.

While that philosophy worked well when he was younger, Rodgers, 32, began to realize over the past few years that he needed to do better in order to remain in good shape. And watching Brady’s commitment to an incredibly rigid diet in no small part inspired Rodgers to clean things up a bit, albeit not to the extreme extent of the Patriots quarterback.

“To be honest, Tom Brady is an influencer there because of the stuff he talks about, and how healthy he is,” Rodgers said, via ESPN’s Jason Wilde.

Brady, who generates headlines every offseason for his near-fanatical approach to his diet, raised eyebrows earlier this year by releasing a “nutrition manual” — not a cookbook, Brady insists — with “body coach” Alex Guerrero. Retail price? $200.

Rodgers isn’t quite so passionate about his diet, but with the additional help of Adam Korzun, the Packers’ director of performance nutrition, he has adjusted his eating habits.

“I think it is all about finding ways to challenge yourself. And one area I’ve really focused on is working with Adam with my nutrition, and really thinking hard about that,” Rodgers said last week.

As athletes age, they invariably have to take better of themselves to continue to perform at peak level, and that includes training harder or differently in the offseason, taking better care of oneself overall and improving eating habits.

“Everybody eats a little differently,” Rodgers said. “But the more where you are aware of what you put in your body and how it affects your performance, the better opportunities you have. And that’s what I’m trying to do.”