Chris Colabello on 80-game suspension: ‘I cried and cried and cried’
Major League Baseball last Friday announced that Toronto Blue Jays first baseman Chis Colabello had been banned 80 games for testing positive for dehydrochlormethyltestosterone, an anabolic steroid sold under the name Turinabol.
In an exclusive interview this week with Sportsnet, Colabello details the devastating impact learning he’d tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug has had upon him, at some points appearing to come to tears.
“I cried. I cried and cried and cried,” the 32-year-old Colabello told Jamie Campbell. “It hurts me to hear people to call into question my character.”
The Toronto Sun’s Steve Buffery notes in a report that Colabello made it clear at the onset of the interview that he believes his suspension is based on a technicality of sorts.
“The metabolite they found in my urine was said to be a trace amount,” Colabello said.
According to experts, the discovery of a metabolite is deemed sufficient to indicate the use of a banned substance.
Colabello continued to profess his innocence during the interview with the Blue Jays’ official broadcaster (both Sportsnet and the team are owned by Rogers Communications).
“I would never, have never, will never compromise the integrity of baseball — ever — in my life,” he said, as transcribed by the Toronto Star. “And whether that means taking a performance-enhancing supplement, I just wouldn’t do it.
“I don’t do it. I haven’t done it. I won’t do it.”
Colabello also states in the interview that he has passed 20 drug tests over the past four years. He claims to be at a loss to how he failed the test, saying he only took supplements during the offseason that he received from the Jays’ training staff. Colabello adds he has “combed through” things from the past six months in an attempt to figure things out.
Colabello’s comments in the interview reinforced what he indicated in a statement upon the announcement of the suspension.
Statement from Chris Colabello: pic.twitter.com/9UWTr7YfLD
— Brendan Kennedy (@BKennedyStar) April 22, 2016
It remains to be seen how far Colabello — and the Blue Jays, perhaps — will go to prove his innocence.