Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jets to discuss new contract in ‘very near future’
New York Jets general manager Mike Maccagan indicated Friday that the team plans to begin negotiations on a new contract with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, slated to become a free agent, sooner rather than later.
“We’re going to talk to Ryan’s people here in the very near future,” Maccagnan said, via NJ.com, on WFAN radio’s “Boomer and Carton Show.”
“We have time, obviously, before free agency, and we really would like to get Ryan back in the fold. [Head coach] Todd [Bowles] has said that. Obviously, myself and the rest of the organization feel very strongly about this.
“I think it’s a good situation for all of us, and we just have to go through this process, and hopefully we can come to an agreement where it’s fair and everybody’s happy with it going forward.”
Both the Jets and Fitzpatrick have expressed interest in working out a new deal with Maccagnan indicating that he believes the team can win with Fitzpatrick long-term.
The journeyman 33-year-old quarterback enjoyed the best season of his career in 2015, leading the Jets to a 10-6 record while posting a career-high in touchdowns (31) and yards (3,905).
Fitzpatrick did falter in the Jets’ season finale in a 22-17 loss to the Buffalo Bills, though, in a game the team needed to win to qualify for the postseason. While he did throw two touchdown passes, three back-breaking interceptions proved to be too much for the team to overcome. Fitzpatrick was the most erratic he had been all season, completing only 43 percent of his passes for 181 yards against a motivated Bills squad seeking a victory for Rex Ryan.
But Fitzpatrick played quite well up to that point after being tabbed as the team’s starting quarterback role in the wake of Geno Smith’s horrendous locker room fiasco. Locking him up for a few more years would help the Jets find stability at the position as it grooms its next quarterback, whether that be Smith — unlikely — or one selected in the 2016 NFL Draft.