Sportress of Blogitude

Giants’ Steve Weatherford feels ‘blessed’ after surviving ugly car wreck (pic)


New York Giants punter Steve Weatherford was involved in an automobile wreck early Monday morning on the New Jersey Turnpike and took to social media afterward to express how “blessed” he feels to walk away from the accident unscathed.

Weatherford was in the midst of a cross-country trek from San Diego to New York for the Giants OTAs, scheduled to begin Monday morning. The punter was on the West Coast to be present at the birth of his daughter over the weekend but his flight back east was forced to land in Washington D.C. due to inclement weather.

He then rented a car to drive the rest of the way to East Rutherford, N.J., when he hit some standing water on the Turnpike at approximately 3:30 a.m., which caused the automobile to hydroplane and crash into the median so severely that the airbags deployed.

Weatherford walked away from the crash relatively unscathed and took to Instagram to express just how lucky he feels to be no worse for wear, although he reports he suffered “a bunch of bruises, cuts” and “a couple of burns on my arm and a busted lip.”

“I walked out without a scratch,” Weatherford wrote in part in his social media post. “I am feeling so incredibly blessed. Not only has God given my family and I a beautiful, healthy 10 pound baby girl. He sent his guardian angels to keep my car from flipping and possibly dying.”

Weatherford also joined the “Boomer and Carton” radio show Monday morning to describe the harrowing ordeal, which he described as driving into a “pit of water” while traveling at a speed of about 65-70 mph, per a CBS New York report. He also credited and gave thanks to the police officers who arrived upon the scene, adding that they drove him from the site of the wreck to his home in Hoboken.

“All things considered, man, (I’m) incredibly blessed,” said Weatherford. “If it was 4 o’clock in the afternoon instead of 4 o’clock in the morning, I’m dead meat. No question.”

The punter did return to social media to report he had arrived safely at the Giants facility.

[H/T Shutdown Corner]