David Ortiz on Boston Marathon bomber guilty verdict: ‘It doesn’t matter’
David Ortiz wasn’t in the mood to celebrate the news that Dzhokar Tsarnaev, one of the alleged perpetrators of the bombing at the 2013 Boston Marathon, had been found guilty in federal court on all 30 counts brought against him.
Instead, the Boston Red Sox slugger reacted in a much more somber tone, suggesting that no matter what the outcome of the trial had been, it cannot ever erase the multitude of tragedies that occurred on April 15, 2013.
“What can I tell you? It doesn’t matter, it’s not going to bring those people that lost their lives back.” Ortiz said on Wednesday, via a Boston Herald report. “It is what it is.”
Ortiz offered little when asked if he had any opinion on Tsarnaev’s ultimate fate following the guilty verdict.
“I’m not a judge,” he said.
Ortiz of course inspired grieving Bostonians with a fiery speech at Fenway Park during an emotional pregame ceremony days after the bombing, in which he made a defiant declaration regarding the unbreakable strength of the city.
“Alright. Alright Boston,” Ortiz said while standing on the infield and addressing the crowd. “This jersey that we wear today, it doesn’t say Red Sox. It says Boston. We want to thank you Mayor Menino, Gov. Patrick, the whole police department for the great job they did this past week. This is our f—— city and nobody is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.”
Speaking about his role in beginning the healing process following the bombing that killed three and left an estimated 264 injured, Ortiz again indicated nothing can change what happened on that tragic April day.
“I’m an emotional person and we were going through a struggle,” he said. “And like I said, I’m not going to bring anybody’s life back. We’ve just got to live with the consequences.”
(photo credit: Jim Rogash/Getty)