Minor league hockey’s Bakersfield Condors to don ‘Seinfeld Puffy Shirt Jerseys’ (photo)
In a promotion Kenny Bania would proclaim as “The best, Jerry, the best,” the Bakersfield Condors, the ECHL affiliate of the Edmonton Oilers, have announced that on Nov. 16, the team will wear jerseys inspired by the infamous “Puffy Shirt” from the classic, fifth-season episode of “Seinfeld.”
To add further silliness to the already zany event, players won’t even have their names of the jerseys. Instead, each player will be outfitted with a sweater bearing the name of a classic “Seinfeld” character. The 20 names already confirmed for the event are as follows, per the team’s website:
Jerry, George, Kramer, Newman, Frank Costanza, Puddy, J. Peterman, Steinbrenner, Morty Seinfeld, Uncle Leo, Art Vandelay, Kenny Bania, Lloyd Braun, Jackie Chiles, Crazy Joe Davola, Mandelbaum, Bubble Boy, Keith Hernandez, Mickey Abbott, Assman
What? No Soup Nazi? No Bob Sacamano? No H.E.Pennypacker? No Kel Varnsen? How about Dr. Martin Van Nostrand?
Granted, a few of those are aliases for prominent characters already featured. But speaking of doctors, what about no Dr. Tim Whatley? And how about Alec Berg?
Speaking of Berg, let us not forget his integral role in “The Face Painter” episode, which of course includes arguably the most heavily hockey-related character in the history of the show, one David Puddy?
Gotta support the team, right?
The team does indicate that five names for the jerseys will be selected via fan submission, so hopefully there are some quality Seinfeldians among the Condors fan base.
The night also will include the following Seinfeld-related stuff:
- Ozmo Kramer, the world’s greatest Kramer impersonator, will be on hand to take pictures with fans, drop the puck, and sign autographs
- Fans who bring a can of soup or box of cereal (Jerry’s favorite) for donation will receive a two-for-one “Soup Or Cereal” ticket
- You could paint your face for a 2-for-1 ticket … y’know to support the team
- Five lucky fans will win festivus poles … no tinsel … we find tinsel very distracting
- Five lucky fans will win coffee table books
- The team will have a rickshaw race on ice during the first intermission
- Dance cam will feature an Elaine style dance-off
- Come dressed as your favorite character; best dressed costume wins a marble rye.
- Or if you’re a lawyer, throw a cape on
- Maybe technicolor dreamcoats are your thing…
- But remember, when you control the mail, you control information.
Fantastic job by the team to include all the links. Bravo.
The very special night was planned to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the first aired “Seinfeld” episode. It’s hard to believe it’s been that long.
This of course is not the first “Seinfeld” promotional stunt pulled by a minor league outfit. The Brooklyn Cyclones on July 5 held its very own Seinfeld Night, an evening celebrating all that is wonderful about “Seinfeld,” which included having players don actual puffy shirts for batting practice.
Seinfeld Night…it’s real and it’s spectacular pic.twitter.com/jKjhJ6BoQA
— Brooklyn Cyclones (@BKCyclones) July 5, 2014
A master of their domain on that night, to be sure. But not in the same way, of course.