NY Post covers sleeping Yankees fan’s ESPN lawsuit with puntastic headline (photo)
The most ridiculous news in the sports world on Monday was that a New York Yankees fan has filed a lawsuit against ESPN over footage captured of him sleeping in the stands during the network’s broadcast of a game earlier this season.
Andrew Rector , the Yankees fan caught catching a snooze in his seat during an April 13 game between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, has filed a $10 million defamation suit against the Yankees, ESPN, announcer Dan Shulman and analyst John Kruk.
Major League Baseball posted footage of the napping Rector online shortly after he was featured during the ESPN broadcast.
The lawsuit is borderline frivolous at best, as described in a New York Post report:
But his typo-ridden suit says Shulman and Kruk’s “false statements” include suggestions that Rector is “not worthy” to be a Yankee fan and “is a fatty cow that need two seats at all time and represent symbol of failure.”
It also says Rector was made out to be “a confused individual that neither understands nor knows anything about history and the meaning of rivalry between Red Sox and New York Yankee.”
As a result, the used-car dealer claims to have “suffered substantial injury” to his “character and reputation,” as well as “mental anguish, loss of future income and loss of earning capacity.”
Being the some of the finest arbiters of puntastic headlines in the business, the New York Post made its tongue-in-cheek editorial opinion known with its front page on Tuesday, using a whimsical zinger to reveal the paper’s take on the suit.
Fantastic. Well played, Post. Well played, indeed.
Meanwhile, ESPN released a statement Tuesday in which it essentially considered the lawsuit a complete waste of time (via Hardball Talk):
“The comments attributed to ESPN and our announcers were clearly not said in our telecast. The claims presented here are wholly without merit.”
That’s about right, but not as witty as the Post’s front page on Tuesday.