Sportress of Blogitude

728×90 Ad Unit

Rajon Rondo shoots down rumor that Carmelo Anthony is trying to recruit him to the Knicks


Last week, Rajon Rondo’s high school coach stated that he believes that Carmelo Anthony is trying to convince the Boston Celtics point guard to join the New York Knicks at some point, presumably when he becomes a free agent after the 2015 season.

Casting aside the possibility that Carmelo may be bolting from the Knicks following this season, Steve Smith, the head basketball coach for Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.), insists that Anthony has been actively recruiting Rondo.

Discussing Rondo’s comeback from an ACL injury, Smith had the following to say about Rondo’s future:

“Whether he stays in Boston or not who knows. I know, talking to Melo (Carmelo Anthony), he’s recruiting Rajon to come to New York,” Smith told USA Today. “Melo thinks he’ll come too. You never know about that stuff though. I think either way, Rajon will be fine.”

Not so fast, says Rondo. Speaking to reporters at shootaround before Tuesday’s game against the Brooklyn Nets, Rondo shot down the rumors.

“I haven’t talked to him about that,” Rondo reportedly said, according to a tweet from Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe.

Anthony has also denied speaking with Rondo about a future with the Knicks, arguing that such actions wouldn’t be looked upon favorably by the NBA.

“C’mon, man,” said Anthony, as  quoted in the New York Post. “In my book, that’s tampering.”

Obviously, Anthony, whether or not he has actually discussed anything with Rondo about joining the Knicks, it would be foolish for him to outwardly admit it, so his denial is hardly surprising. Same goes for Rondo. How would it benefit him in any whatsoever to confirm what his high school coach had to say? It wouldn’t, so the denials from both NBA stars are about as believable as the comments that originally spawned the speculation in the first place.